The Hare Preservation Trust aims:
- To act as a focal point for the gathering of all types of information about hares and to convey that information to members through regular news bulletins.
- To raise the hare's profile through the media and promote improved education about hares.
- To encourage all landowners to view hares as welcome residents of their land and to actively participate in ways of improving the preservation and welfare of hares.
- Liaising with other charities, voluntary bodies and statutory authorities operating in furtherance of the aims and objectives of the HPT and to exchange information and advise them about hares.
- To encourage further research into the reasons for the decline of the brown hare in Britain and to propose ways in which the trend might be reversed.
- To lobby Government for increased legal protection for hares and to ensure that existing legislation is enforced.
- To promote constructive enjoyment of hares in their natural habitats, for example by hare watching, photography, video production, painting or drawing.